Saturday 21 February 2015

Guest Blogger Heidi Swain




Good Afternoon everybody. I am so excited to welcome a guest to my blog today – the very talented Heidi Swain. I met Heidi at the Creative Writing Masterclass I attended last November at Books in the City. Since then we have become firm friends sharing a love of books and writing. Her debut novel The Cherry Tree Café is due to be published by Simon & Schuster on July 16th, 2015.

I have put some questions together to ask Heidi and if you have any you would like to ask please write them in the comments box below and I’m sure she will endeavour to answer them.

So Heidi – welcome. Firstly congratulations on your publishing deal, you must be very excited.

Hello my lovely. Thank you so much for asking me to feature on your blog. Yes, I’m ridiculously excited and probably driving everyone in the house to distraction already. I can’t imagine what I’ll be like by the time we get to July!

First question then. What was the inspiration behind The Cherry Tree Café?

My motives were purely selfish really. I wanted to write a novel where I could combine two of my favourite things, cakes and crafts. Luckily for me, baking and stitching, not forgetting a sprinkling of romance, seems to be rather popular at the moment so The Cherry Tree Café has been the perfect outlet for my sweet teeth and sewing inclinations!

Are any of the characters based on people you know?

No, I never base characters on anyone I actually know. To be honest, I think I would be stifled by all the things I already know about them. I prefer to create my own cast however, if I see someone who encapsulates the look of a character I’m working with then I’ll take a mental snapshot of them, their clothes, how they walk, talk and so on.

How do you like to write? I use pen and paper and curl up on the sofa, but I know a lot of writers use laptop or PC.

It depends on where I’m at with my writing. Planning happens both on paper and on my trusty netbook. Quite often I’ll print off my plans and scribble all over them. Kindle sticky notes and scraps of paper are always to hand when I’m out and about so I can make notes or jot down ideas as and when. When it comes to seriously upping the word count I’m back on the netbook, although if necessary I will write longhand during my lunch hour at work and type up and continue in the evenings. 

Do you ever suffer from the dreaded writers block and if so what do you do to combat it?

I haven’t yet. Obviously I can’t say it will never happen but I’m strict about keeping it at bay. I never finish a writing session without knowing what I‘m going to write next (sometimes I even write down the next sentence, idea or chapter opening so I can hit the ground running), and I’m always planning the next project and sometimes even the one after that.

A tough question now. Who is your favourite author (apart from Dame Milly of course!)?

Seriously? And just when I thought we were getting along so well! That is a ridiculously difficult question to answer, impossible really. Of course Dame Milly is right up there but so are at least a dozen other names! I’m going to skirt around answering this one and give you the name of the author who has the most books sitting on my fit to burst bookshelves and that is the inimitable Miss Read.
Although I can now single out one book as my all-time favourite read. Letters to the Lost by Iona Grey is without doubt the most beautiful and touching book I have ever read... and I've read a lot! No spoilers here, but if you only read one book this year (as well as The Cherry Tree Cafe of course), then make sure it is this.

What do you do for a day job and do you set aside specific times for your writing?

For three days of the working week I’m a teaching assistant in a local junior school and for the other two I’m an ‘interrupt me if you dare’ author. The weekends are a mash-up of mum, wife, daughter and author although my family would probably argue that my loyalties are not always in that order!

What advice would you give to an aspiring author?

Here I fall headlong into cliché…
Write what you love because you’ll love what you write. If you are in it for the long haul then the love affair with your work simply has to last a lifetime
Read, read, and then read some more
Network online and, if you can, attend any events that come your way
Never ever give up. I’m living proof that you know what is just around the corner!

Right now a quick-fire round!

·         Chocolate or Fruit
Chocolate…big slabs of Galaxy

·         Book or Kindle (or other brand)
Both

·         Comedy or Horror
Comedy

·         Drunken night out or Cosy night in
Cosy night in

·         Autumn or Spring
Spring

·         Cats or Dogs
Cats

·         Sunset or Sunrise
Sunrise

Lastly you are on a desert island what 5 items would you take with you?

A trunk full of books (the kindle would be useless without a charger)
My bed
Mascara
Notebook (with pen/pencil attached so counts as one choice)
Ray Mears (or similar)

Thank-you so much for joining me on my blog Heidi and I wish you every success with your book.

Thank you for having me!


You can find Heidi on Facebook at The Writer Files on Twitter @Heidi_Swain and read her blogs at http://www.heidiswain.blogspot.co.uk/

You can also pre-order The Cherry Tree Café here:




No comments:

Post a Comment