Tuesday 26 January 2016

Book Review of Our Song by Dani Atkins





I finished this book earlier today and have only just stopped sobbing enough to write a review! I was lucky enough to win a copy from Books and the City (Simon & Schuster) courtesy of Sara-Jade Virtue.

The book is the story of four people whose lives are intertwined. Charlotte is married to David who was Ally's first love. Ally is now married to Joe and they have a seven year son Jake. 
David and Ally parted with Ally sure that Charlotte was instrumental in their break up.
Fast forward several years and Ally and Charlotte find themselves in the Intensive Care Unit of the local hospital,both sitting at their husband's bedsides as they lie gravely ill. Joe has earlier saved a child from drowning and has hypothermia, whilst David has a serious heart condition.
Can the two women set their past differences aside and be there for each other?

I don't want to give too much away in this review and I couldn't possibly do the book justice. You will need tissues - that's a certainty, unless your heart is made of stone. Dani Atkins' writing especially of the young Jake is so incredibly moving, I had to stop several times to wipe my eyes and blow my nose!
The book is set in the past and present, interchanging to build each character seamlessly. The reader learns about each character and how all their lives interlink all the way through the book.

This is an ideal "curl up and read" book and I would definitely recommend it to everyone. I for one will be reserving Dani's past catalogue at the library and looking out for her future releases.

5 *****

Our Song by Dani Atkins
Published by Books and the City

1 comment:

  1. Oh don't worry Mary, I howled through it too! Definitely one of my favourite books.

    ReplyDelete