Sunday 10 April 2016

Great Book Survey Part 3

This weeks book post is courtesy of someone I've known all my life, my cousin & friend Mandy May. We had similar tastes growing up, except she loved Wham! and I was a Duranie through and through! We liked the same books and still do, we have children 1 year apart and she knows my dry sense of humour probably as well as my husband does.

So Mandy the painful part age and occupation
 43 (I think) and I am a single parent to a 21,15 and 7 year old. In my spare time I'm a PA to a Financial Adviser   

What is your preferred genre of book?

I am a big fan of women's fiction, romance and also something a bit saucy ðŸ˜‰

Who is your “go to author” when you want a relaxing read?

When I want a nice, relaxing read it's Paige Toon every time. I've read all of her books and will do in the future.

Paige Toon


How do you chose your books? Cover design, friends recommendations, book reviews etc?

I generally go by authors and if I read a book and enjoy it I will then read other books by the same author, I have also read books that are recommended by friends or by you. 
That's good to hear, I love recommending authors and books to people and I like it more if they enjoy them.



Is there an author that you enjoy so much that you buy every one of their published novels? If so which author?

I have a lot of favourite authors and have read all of their books, they are Paige Toon, the late Jackie Collins, Jodi Picoult, Liane Moriarty & Debbie Macomber, I'm sure there are more.


Do you have a favourite classic book? Do you have a favourite children’s book?

I don't really have a favourite classic book, but one that is etched in my brain is "What Katy Did" I was made to read that book all day whilst my parents were at work and I can't even bare to look at the cover anymore!!!! I love children's books and as an avid reader myself I have tried really hard to encourage my children to enjoy books. My favourite has to be Enid Blytons "The Wishing Chair" 
I loved The Wishing Chair too, but my all time favourite was The Faraway Tree collection by Enid Blyton

Sorry! What Katy Did


Would you say you own more digital copies of books or paperbacks? Which format do you prefer?

I definitely own more paperbacks but more recently my preference has been digital books purely as I have no room for more books, but I have recently reignited my love for the library which gives me the best of both worlds, paperbacks and no need to store them. I absolutely love to receive books as presents, there is nothing quite like a new book!!!  


Finally which 10 books would you take to a desert island? You don’t have to include a survival guide!

The Husbands Secret by Liane Moriarty 
Malory Towers by Enid Blyton (to re-live my teenage years)
The Wishing Chair by Enid Blyton 
The Santangelos by Jackie Collins
All the Harry Potter books as I've not read them and it would keep me busy
One perfect Summer by Paige Toon 
Chasing Daisy by Paige Toon 
Calendar Girls by Audrey Carlan (for the lonely nights) 
The Shop on Blossom Street by Debbie Macomber  
What Katie Did- to throw in the sea and hope it doesn't float 

The Wishing Chair by Enid Blyton


Some great books there Mandy, especially the Enid Blyton ones. Malory Towers was definitely a firm favourite of mine and I really wanted to go there. 
I had the pleasure of meeting Paige Toon at a book event and am ashamed to say that I hadn't read any of her titles before, but I was given an advance copy of her next novel The One We Fell In Love With (published 19th May 2016) and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I will be working my way through her library soon.
My last interviewee Kevin Hanney expressed a desire to use a book to start a fire, whereas you want to throw a book into the sea! It just shows that books forced upon you are not going to be enjoyed. I'm glad in both your cases that it didn't put you off reading for life.

Thank you so much Mandy for taking part. Next week I feature another book lover so please look out for the links. 

No comments:

Post a Comment