Saturday 4 April 2015

D is for Digby. The Biggest Dog In The World

Hi again. Thank you for reading blogs A, B & C. Today's blog covers the letter D. I had a few choices like Dylan (hubby), Darcy (cat) and Dancing (I was an Old Time Dancing Champion), but finally I settled on Digby simply because I love him! No that I don't love hubby and the cat of course.

So D is for.....


Digby. The Biggest Dog In The World 




Bit of a lighter blog today after yesterdays.

Jim Dale stars in this fabulous film made in 1973 the year I was born (I know I don't look old enough!!)
I remember this film with fond memories from my childhood and managed to find it on DVD a few years ago. I enjoyed it as much as an adult after watching it. I think it sticks in my memory as whenever it was shown on telly, my Grandad and I would snuggle up together on the sofa and watch it.

The star of the film is Digby an Old English Sheepdog played by Fernville Lord Digby who at the time was the current Dulux dog in the paint adverts. Even for 1973 the effects were not too bad as Digby grew and grew. Watching the film as an adult you can appreciate the humour from Jim Dale and Spike Milligan a lot more and now I see the parts that my Grandad laughed at.

Jim Dale, Richard Beaumont and Spike Milligan

Billy and Digby


For those of you who haven’t seen it, Digby consumes a bowl of Project X which is a form of experimental fertilizer. Digby grows to gigantic proportions and is stolen by 2 criminals and sold to a circus. Digby manages to escape and still growing begins to roam the countryside.

Jeff Eldon the scientist played by Jim Dale and Digby’s owner Billy White played by Richard Beaumont must capture Digby and feed him the shrinking potion Jeff has developed before the Army kill Digby with heavy artillery.

A giant Digby


Cast: Jim Dale, Spike Milligan, Angela Douglas, Norman Rossington, Milo O'Shea, Dinsdale Landen, Victor Spinetti  and Richard Beaumont.
IMDB  link to Digby

I think you should always revisit your childhood or whatever makes you happy. I know people who get embarrassed that they have watched a kids film on their own. I say do whatever makes you happy. Life is too short to worry what people think of you just because you have watched Toy Story alone and had a good cry.
Digby may not be your cup of tea, but to me it's cuddles with my beloved, much missed Grandad Gene and a glass of lemonade on a sunny afternoon with the french windows open and the curtains blowing in the breeze.
That's why I love Digby :-)


Information on A to Z Blogging Challenge can be found here

Please come and visit my Facebook Page and Twitter Profile and say Hello xx

No comments:

Post a Comment