Tuesday 7 April 2015

F is for Firenze, Italia

Today I thought we would have a little break from books so I could tell you a little bit about my favourite place in the whole world Florence.

So today F is for ......


Firenze - Florence

Flag of Firenze



Italian Flag
Information on Florence can be found here Visit Florence

Firenze (Florence) is the capital city of the region of Tuscany. It is widely regarded as the Birthplace of the Renaissance and was made an UNESCO Heritage Site in 1982.

Florence was ruled at one time by the Medici family and Lorenzo de Medici (Lorenzo il Magnifico - Lorenzo the Magnificent) was considered a political mastermind in Italy in the late 15th century. He sponsored artists such as Michelangelo & Botticelli Cosimo I de Medici began the reign of the Medici's in 1569 and the reign ended with Gian Castone de Medici in 1737. Catherine de Medici married the King Henry II of France and reigned as regent after his death in 1559.
Today Florence is still an important centre for trade and tourism. Many of the large fashion houses have their huge centres just outside the city centre. 


In 2002 my husband took me and our son to Florence. We fell in love with the place and continued to go there for the next 4 years. We stayed at the town of Figline Valdarno (except in 2005 when we stayed in Florence City Centre) which was about 40 mins away from the city.

In 2007 we returned with a few more people and a lot more luggage. We got married!! 
After 14 years together and a 13 year old son we had decided that the time was right to finally tie the knot. Wednesday 12th September 2007 dawned bright and sunny with a beautiful blue sky and later temperatures of 42 degrees. 
None of our guests except for three of our friends had familiarised themselves with the way to the great Palazzo Vecchio so my husband spent a frantic morning trying to get everyone in the right place at the right time. His Best Man (his brother) was also giving me away and trying to hide me behind a statue so my husband wouldn't see me. My husbands parents were late and he thought they would not make it, but 30 minutes after we were due to get married I was finally led into the building and his parents followed behind.
I entered the room to the piece of music used in Hannibal’s opera scene “Vide Cor Meum (See My Heart) on the arm of my brother in law to be and saw my hubby looking dashing in his chocolate brown Italian lounge suit. He said to me that I looked fantastic and then the ceremony in the amazing Sala Rossa (Red Room) began. It was the best day of our lives and made better with the fact that we were in a place we loved.

Sala Rossa - Red Room inside the Palazzo Vecchio and bedroom of Cosimo I de Medici

Palazzo Vecchio


Unfortunately due to ill health we could not return to Florence until August 2014. Some dear friends of ours very kindly lent us their apartment in Borga di Colleoli and we were able to drive into Florence. 
The moment we parked and I saw the Palazzo Vecchio and the Duomo of the Santa Maria del Fiore in the distance I felt like I was home again. I love everything about the place, the food, the hussle and bussle, the way of life and of course the ice cream.
I hope to go back to Florence and in particular to the Scuola del Cuoio Firenze (School of Leather Florence) and get a proper wedding album for our gorgeous photos one day, so I better get writing so I can afford to go again!

Signor e Signora Lewis12 Settembre 
Sposati alle fine!
Married at last

Please visit my Facebook page and Twitter Profile and say Hello xx

More information on the A to Z Blogging Challenge here



No comments:

Post a Comment