Tuesday 21 April 2015

R is for Returning to school

I decided I needed a bit of help with writing a novel, so I booked myself on a Creative Writing Class at my local adult education centre.


So today R is for......



Returning To School



OK so this part of the blog is before I go back to school. My class starts at 10am today, but I'm going to post this blog later on this evening so I can tell you all how it went. 
Yesterday I went into town and got a new notepad, highlighters, pens and some paper clips. I have no clue why I got paper clips, but I am sure I will find a use for them somewhere if only to thread together and make snakes! 
I have no satchel, but I do have a nice big bag to put all my things in. I neglected to buy a pencil case either, but I am sure if everyone else has one I can get myself one so I don't feel left out.

Now I am a woman of 41. I left school in 1989 and then attended college where I successfully gained qualifications to allow me to teach children with Special Needs. I also completed a Nursing course and worked in a busy A&E department, Theatre and Medical Unit. I have led parents evenings, dealt with drunks (not at the same time), beaten cancer and am a wife and mum. So tell me why I am absolutely terrified of going to this course today?
I want to write. I have always wanted to write. I am currently writing 2 novels and enjoying every minute. This class is going to help me to do what I want to do and hopefully help me do it better, but I am still worried. I am worried I will have no clue what anyone is going on about, I'm worried that if they set us homework I won't have any ideas, I'm worried people will use words I don't understand or terms I haven't heard of. What if they are all far more intelligent than me and I look like a dunce?

The time for worrying now has to pass because notebook in slightly shaky hands I am off.....

My local Adult Education Centre


So I did it! I enjoyed every minute of it. I walked in and introduced myself to the tutor and sat with a young lady of 18 who was lovely. Other students began to arrive who had done the previous terms course, but they were a friendly bunch.
After all the enrolment and induction was done it was straight in at the deep end with a short story that had to be written in 20 minutes. We had to pick 4 cards from a pile. Each had a feeling, a person, an environment and an action on them. 
I picked:
A famous
Police Officer
At a Fancy dress party
Seeks revenge

The story came to me quite easily which surprised me and I wrote about a Police Officer made famous because he had arrested a jewel thief seeking revenge on a woman that had criticised his wives baking! I had to read it out, which filled me with fear, but it was ok and people laughed at the parts they were supposed to laugh at.
My homework is the same exercise but this time I have:
A compassionate
Bodyguard
At a campsite 
Finds not all is how it seems

Intriguing.

I am already looking forward to next weeks class and sharing my story with the other students.
Oh and the paper clips? Nope still no use for them yet x 



Come and say Hi to me on Facebook and Twitter

A to Z Blogging Challenge information here

No comments:

Post a Comment