Friday 10 April 2015

I is for Italia

I know, I know I did a little bit on Italy in F is for Florence, but I love it there and I married my best friend there, so I'm writing about it again today!

So I is for Italia!

Italy

Oh Italy! How I love you even though I am allergic to cheese! My husbands family originate on his Mother's side from Sicily and their family name is Lorenzo (which we gave to our son as a middle name).
We have visited many places in Italy including Florence, Siena, Vinci, Pisa, Figline Valdarno, Greve in Chianti, San Gimignano, Rome, Venice, Verona, Lake Garda, Sirmione, Fiesole, Assissi, San Marino, Arezzo and the Vatican City.
We have driven miles through the countryside of the Chianti region and miles around Lake Garda through the tunnels built by Mussolini.
I love the history, the atmosphere, the views, the ice cream and the weather. I literally get goosebumps when I stand in my husbands arms on the Piazzale Michelangelo watching the sun set over the Ponte Vecchio.

This is a very short blog today for which I apologise, but I returned to work yesterday and I am absolutely knackered. I am off to work again today so have uploaded yesterdays H blog along with this one today. Naughty I know, but I will get myself more organised over the weekend! 






A Very Brief Timeline Of Italy's History!

On the 17th March 1861 many of the states of Italy were united under King Victor Emmanuel II of the Savoy dynasty.
In 1865 the capital of Italy was moved from Turin to Florence. Rome was still under Papal rule and French protection.
On the 20th September 1870 the Italian forces occupied Rome under defeating Napoleon III in the French-Prussian war. Rome is declared the capital of Italy on the 3rd October.
3rd January 1878 King Victor Emmanuel II died and his son Umberto I succeeded the throne on the 9th January.
The year 1900 sees the assassination of King Umberto I. He was succeeded by his son Victor Emmanuel III 
1915 Italy enters the First World War on the side of the Anglo French allies 
The King names Benito Mussolini as Prime Minister and 4 years later Mussolini assumes dictatorial powers
1940 sees Italy enter the Second World War as an axis power 
1943 sees King Victor Emmanuel III announce an armistice with the allies after a vote of no confidence in Mussolini and troops are left confused with no orders. The King and his family flee to Brindisi fearing they would be arrested by Hitler. The Italian people become disenchanted with their Royal family as newsreels show King George VI & Queen Elizabeth in Britain staying with their people in London and Pope Pius XII praying with citizens in Rome.
April 1944 sees Victor Emmanuel III pass power to his son Umberto II. 
Alcide de Gasperi becomes Prime Minister in 1945 and Milan is finally liberated on the 25th April as resistance fighters capture Mussolini trying to flee to Switzerland. He is shot along with his lover Clara Petacci and their bodies are brought back to Milan and left to hang in a gas station in Piazzale Loreto.

On the 10th June 1946 Italy becomes a Republic 
1955 Italy joins the United Nations
1999 Italy joins the Eurozone

No comments:

Post a Comment