Wednesday 8 April 2015

G is for Guess How Much I Love You

Back to books today and a modern day children's classic. I read this book to my son (who is nearly 21) and we still have his copy.

So today G is for.......


Guess How Much I Love You





The fabulous children's book Guess How Much I Love You written by Sam McBratney and illustrated by Anita Jeram was first published in 1994. Since publication it has been translated into 53 languages (including Japanese) and has sold 28 million copies worldwide.

It features two characters named Big Nutbrown Hare and Little Nutbrown Hare who try to measure how much they love each other. They use such measurements like "I love you to the moon and back" and "I love you as high as I can hop"




I remember snuggling up with my little boy and reading this book. The words were so lovely and the illustrations magical. We must have read it hundreds of times and we still have the copy we read under his bed. 
The story is a very simple tale, but the author says it was difficult to write as in effect he was writing a 400 word picture book, but without the illustrator beside him. He says it was as hard to write as a fine novel and that every word had to fight to remain in the finished text.

Reading to your children is so very important. It carries them away to other worlds when sometimes their own world can be tough. My son is deaf and being able to read to him was a joy. He can hear with his hearing aids although snuggled up they would whistle! 

I went to the library the other day and heard the story time going on there. I said to my husband that I remembered going to the story time as a child at Maidstone library. I got annoyed with the lady reading as she let someone sit on my imaginary friends lap! She was reading Little Grey Rabbit by Alison Uttley (which I still have on my bookshelf today) and I can remember it as if it was yesterday. 

So if you can grab a book and read to your little ones or just read a kids book for yourself. There are some gorgeous ones out there including of course this one.

To end today's blog (which is a little shorter than usual as I am a little poorly today) I would like to share with you my favourite part of Guess How Much I Love You.





"I love you right up to the MOON," he said,and closed his eyes.
"Oh,that's far" said Big Nutbrown Hare."That is very far."
Big Nutbrown Hare settled Little Nutbrown Hare into his bed of leaves. He leaned over and kissed him good night.
Then he lay down close by and whispered with a smile,"I love you right up to the moon and back"
Sam McBratney 

Find me on Facebook and on Twitter

A to Z Blogging Challenge information can be found here

1 comment:

  1. I've seen this book, but can't remember reading it to my kiddos.

    ReplyDelete